Print this post

9/29/14

Quick - Get Into the Lifeboat!

Many years ago, my husband and I were in a small church, which we just loved. As I was praying one morning in March, the Lord spoke to me that we would be leaving that church in July of that year. It was so specific and vivid, that I wrote it in my journal.

We had 3 young children, I was working, and we were very involved in the church. So, I put aside the thought that we would be leaving the church. I put it aside so much, that I completely forgot about it - until the first day of July. The Lord promptly brought it back to my memory. I had shared the Word I received with my husband and he was ready to take the step. I, however, drug my feet. I just wasn't sure it was the right thing to do. I fasted and prayed and prayed and fasted seeking the Lord on what was a big decision for us. Finally, at the end of August, a month late, we shared with the pastors that we would be leaving. Why was it so hard for me to be obedient to what the Lord had given me much notice about?

In Acts 27:27-31, it says: "On the fourteenth night we were still being driven across the Adriatic Sea when about midnight the sailors sensed they were approaching land. They took soundings and found that the water was a hundred and twenty feet deep. A short time later, they took soundings again and found it was ninety feet deep. Fearing that we would be dashed against the rocks, they dropped four anchors from the stern and prayed for daylight. In an attempt to escape from the ship, the sailors let the lifeboat down into the sea, pretending they were going to lower some anchors from the bow. Then Paul said to the centurion and the soldiers, "Unless these men stay with the ship, you cannot be saved." So the soldiers cut the ropes that held the lifeboat and let it fall away." [emphasis mine]

In the scripture preceding the above text, Paul and the other shipmates had been battling this storm for several days. They were beginning to give up hope of surviving. But an angel of the Lord had come to Paul the night before and told him that they would all be spared. Paul had then shared this message with those onboard.

But the reality is, that it was not looking good. A few sailors decided they were going to escape via lifeboat. What's the purpose of a lifeboat? To do just that, to save your life; to rescue you at sea. Paul discerned their plan and quickly told them that if they left, they would die.

The very thing that was intended to spare their life (the lifeboat), would be what would take it from them.

I'm just going to ask the question boldly. What are you clinging too, thinking it is your life source, when really it is taking life from you? Maybe it's a relationship, maybe it's a job, maybe it's a church. You are the only one that can answer that question. The truth is this - you will only find life when you cut it away. Perhaps you are like me and God has told you more than once (for me it was way more than once). I encourage you to take the step and cut the lifeboat away. He has not called you to cut it because he wants to take your life. Rather, He wants to GIVE you life.

You see, my friend, when we left that church, it was so hard for me and I fought it. From the natural, it did not look like the right time or the right thing to do in any way. And yet, many years later, I understand that God called us out because He had a mission to accomplish. The church we moved to was pivotal in the spiritual growth of our daughter. Had we not moved, she would have missed that. We had to cut the lifeboat ropes of comfort and familiarity of the church we were in, and trust that God was going to lead us to safety. He did and I am ever so thankful we let the lifeboat go. 

As humans, it is easy to become secure in what is familiar to us. When we have to step into the unknown, that security can wane. Trust me, there is nothing on earth that can provide for you better than Almighty God. He is a good God and He wants to give you life and life more abundantly (John 10:10). Be bold, be obedient, and receive life!

All For Him,

Dawn




No comments:

Post a Comment