Print this post

9/1/14

Why Do We Judge Ourselves So Harshly?

In his letter to the Corinthians, the Apostle Paul made an interesting statement:
"But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by a human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself" (1 Corinthians 4:3).
How many of us make it "a very BIG thing" to be judged? Whether by others, or by ourselves, it seems being judged is often a source of contention in our lives. We're tempted to be angry and defensive if we feel people are judging us in any way-- and then we are just as guilty of judging when we face our own mirrors.
"As for me, it matters very little how I might be evaluated by you or by any human authority. I don't even trust my own judgment on this point" (NLT).
We have to be careful that in an attempt to "not care" about being judged that we actually become hardened and rebellious. This is not at all what the Apostle Paul was trying to communicate. He goes on to say, "My conscience is clear, but that doesn't prove I'm right. It is the Lord Himself who will examine me and decide" (verse 4).
In other words, Paul strived to live conscience-free. And believe it or not, it's possible. Whenever our heart convicts us, we should be quick to repent. "If we confess our sins, [God] is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9). If, when you recognize you've missed it in an area, you are quick to say sorry (first in your heart to God, and then to others if necessary), then you too can have a clean conscience.
This is why Paul was able to say, "I'm not aware of anything that would disqualify me..." (MSG).
"It matters very little to me what you think of me, even less where I rank in popular opinion. I don't even rank myself. Comparisons in these matters are pointless" (MSG).
When we judge ourselves, are we not really just comparing?
And understand, I'm not referring to keeping yourself in check regarding sin and righteousness. I'm asking the question, "Why do we personally judge ourselves so harshly?" I believe the answer is because we care too much about what others think and we've not understood the power of forgiveness (toward self and from God).
"But [as for me personally] it matters very little to me that I should be put on trial by you [on this point], and that you or any other human tribunal should investigate and question and cross-question me. I do not even put myself on trial and judge myself. I am not conscious of anything against myself, and I feel blameless; but I am not vindicated and acquitted before God on that account. It is the Lord [Himself] Who examines and judges me" (1 Corinthians 4:3-4, AMP).
When you understand God's love for you, and it is your daily goal to live with a clear conscience toward Him, then there's nothing to judge-- there's no fear of man or lack of sleep.
Concerning God's Word and our application of it, Paul said, "For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged" (1 Corinthians 11:31). In other words, we don't want to be ignorant of God's way of doing things. There is a right and wrong way, and we need to care about that. But concerning the harsh comparison of self to others, we don't need to put ourselves on trial.
So repent quickly when you miss it and you too can have a clear conscience. Then when you look in your mirror, you'll be able to say, "Quit judging me. I'm not disqualified."
-Daphne Delay

No comments:

Post a Comment