Print this post

11/29/12

Symptoms of Gratefulness


Symptoms of Gratefulness…

‘Twas the morning after Thanksgiving and all through the house, not a child was stirring,not even our new dog Samson:).  I opened my eyes a few minutes before my alarm went off at 5 a.m. to hit all of the black Friday sales.  My heart was beating with excitement, 20% off, 40% off clearance items, free coloring book with a $100 toy purchase J!  

Before I got up out of bed I said a little prayer, “Father, what is Your plan for me today?”  And what to my wondering ears did I hear, “Stay home and spend time with Me.”  Are you serious?!!  Me, the one who was born to shop and get great deals, has been asked to stay home ~ away from the sales, away from the malls, away from the hustle & bustle, & away from buying more stuff. 

My husband took the children out as planned and I stayed home.  To set the atmosphere, I quickly turned on some music to keep my mind from wondering about all the great deals I was missing:)!  I turned on Andrea Bocceli’s ‘My Christmas’ CD.  I joined in and started singing with him about the birth of Christ in the Little Town of Bethlehem, with the Angels singing on that Silent Night, Holy Night.  Within a few minutes my heart began to overflow with gratefulness, contentment, joy, peace, & thanksgiving.  I was reminded of what Paul said in Colossians & Hebrews…

Colossians 4:2
Pray diligently. Stay alert, with your eyes wide open in gratitude.
Hebrew 13:5
'Don't be obsessed with getting more material things. Be relaxed with what you have. Since God assured us, "I'll never let you down, never walk off and leave you,"'

Here are 5 Symptoms of Gratefulness:
1.    When you’re running late for work and you get a flat tire ~ 
Your heart says ‘I am grateful that I have a car to drive and my Father will supply all of my needs!’
2.    When you’ve invested a lot of time,treasure, energy & friendship in a relationship and he/she walks out on you~ your heart says ‘I am grateful for the lessons I learned and I look forward to the next friend you have for me.’
3.    When you are let go from your job unexpectantly ~ your heart says ‘Woohoo, I am grateful that God has something bigger and better in store for me!’
4.    When your plan doesn’t work out and your idea falls through ~ your heart says, ‘I am grateful that I can trust you Father with my whole heart.  Your ways are not my ways, your thoughts are higher than my thoughts!’
5.    When you have to unclog 3 toilets in one day and your husband is out of town J ~ your heart says ‘I am grateful Lord that we even have toilets… and thankful for the kids that stuff them up!’

Do a quick check up to see if you have symptoms of gratefulness.  Gratefulness is a choice!  When everyone is sending us messages that things, buying, spending, & getting make us happy… stop spending, start worshipping, give thanks, be content, and always, always, always be GRATEFUL!! 

And then i twas the night before Cyber Monday… J HA!!!

3 comments:

  1. Love it Amy!!!!! I can picture your face when He told you to stay home, then hear you signing when you had the whole house to yourself! Thanks for sharing, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...this is great! I truly enjoyed it and your honesty! Also for your love for the Lord & to obey Him.... :) Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are times when he calls us to "be separate." His timing for fellowship, alone unto Him, will sometimes conflict with what we have in MIND. Obedience, in those opportune moments is a humble treasure that brings with it the great reward.

    "Cyber Monday," funny!

    ReplyDelete