Print this post

4/26/13

Come to the Table!

 Come to the Table!

The schedule at the Beck house is a never-ending cycle of school, church, work, grocery shopping, homework, soccer, concerts, movie nights, laundry, more grocery shopping, more homework, and the list goes on. :) Although we do our very best to stick to early bedtimes for our five girls, sometimes the events of the day just won't allow for that, and we find ourselves getting to bed late and morning still coming just as early. Waking up sleepy-headed children is not always easy! I have been growled at, grunted at and at times there are even attempts to simply ignore my morning greetings as though that will keep the inevitable from happening. 
 
For a while I would get frustrated and issue strong warnings of the consequences coming if ten little feet did not hit the floor and begin their morning routine. Though we got through them, those mornings are not my best memories! Thankfully, over time I have found better strategies to get things moving when tiredness tries to linger around our home. Often as parents, if we will put ourselves in our "children's shoes" so to speak, or think about what would help us if we were in their situation, we can find our answer. So I began to think -- what would help me want to get up in the morning? A yummy breakfast! We are normally cereal and milk folks in the morning because it's quick and easy, but on mornings when I knew the girls might have a hard time, I started making some of their favorite things for breakfast like pancakes and hot chocolate. It was amazing to see the difference when I would go to their rooms and tell them – “Come to the table – mommy made you pancakes and hot chocolate.” Instead of growls and grunts, I was now being greeted with smiles and thank yous! Yes - victory!
 
On one of our recent "yummy breakfast" mornings, the Holy Spirit brought Psalms 23:5 to my mind. "Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies...." I saw that God does the same thing for us in hard times -- this was not an original idea! He is a wise and loving Father, who always knows what His children need to keep moving through tough times. When the enemy tries to linger around us, God does something wonderful -- He prepares a table and invites us to come! Of course, His table is full of much more than pancakes and hot chocolate. Waiting there for you are the rich nourishment and benefits of salvation -- love, peace, comfort, protection, prosperity, wisdom, direction and so much more! 
 
So, the next time you are confronted by the enemy, remember to look around -- somewhere nearby is a table prepared just for you in your time of greatest need.  Listen closely and no doubt you will hear the Spirit call you - Child, come to the table! 
 
Debbie Beck

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I'm sittin' at the table watching the enemy from afar! He doesn't get to sit here. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes sir! It's a wonderful mental picture to remind us of what is really true...love His table!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen Debbie, what I've encountered. Thank you Holy Spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love this! That is so sweet! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete