Print this post

8/16/14

The Best Job Of All


 "So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another. Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us... according to the proportion of faith."  Romans 12:5-6



Having 5 girls in the house makes every day an AMAZING adventure! When they were smaller, it was an incredible amount of work just to maintain a daily routine of working, cooking, cleaning, homework, doctor's appointments, shopping....and the list goes on and on. As they are getting older, things are getting much easier around the Beck house! I am working with them to learn all of the aspects of running a home, and along the way it is becoming clear what each of my girls is best at doing around the house. Still it is important to me that they continue to learn skills in different areas and that means they don't always get to do their favorite jobs.

There are various reasons I may ask a certain one of my girls to help me in different areas. If I need it done quickly, I'll ask the one who is best in that area knowing that it will be done right the first time. If time is not an issue and I know one of girls needs to work on that area, I may choose her so that she has an opportunity to work on that task and become better at it. If I need to spend some time with one of the girls, I may choose her just so that we can be together while getting the job done.

Now and then I may get a bit of an attitude because they don't want to do what I've asked of them. Depending on the situation sometimes I will explain why they are doing it, but I also believe that at times it's an important life lesson to learn to obey whether they understand or not. The good thing is that even though they don't always understand, I know exactly why I chose them and am confident all will be well when the assignment is complete. What I also know is that no assignment has to do with the worth of any of my girls. I love each and every one of them just the same, and their assignment does not make them any more or less valuable in my eyes! The assignments I give them may be different because I understand their abilities and graces, but each of them is precious in their own right because of who they are to me...they are my children.

It's probably not hard to see where I'm going with this. :)  Even though we are adults naturally speaking, we are God's kids and have assignments He hands out at home, on the job and in ministry throughout our communities and around the world.

I wish I could say every assignment and season of life has been glorious and enjoyable, but honestly some have been very difficult to get through. Yet even at times when I felt as though I just couldn't go any further, His grace was always present and sufficient. As we grow and mature, we learn that assignments have more to do with His purposes than our comfort or preferences. Often the assignments of the past that we didn't understand become crystal clear to us as the rest of His plan for our live manifests. I have personally found that my most difficult assignments were simply training ground for the wonderful things that lied ahead in the future.

The most important thing to understand is that we are not defined by our assignment in the Kingdom. We are defined by our relationship with Jesus Christ that makes us children of our Father God! God is not like the earthly culture we see around us. He is not more proud of someone with a certain position or title, and He doesn't value one of His children over another based on what they do or don't do. Father God is just as pleased with the faithfulness of the Sunday School teacher assigned to teach 2 or 3 as He is with the faithfulness of the Pastor assigned to teach 10,000! He sees our hearts and our faith in what He has given us to do, and that is all that truly matters.

So, as the sign says...Keep Calm and Do Your Assignment! Be comfortable in your own skin and in your own purpose. You are precious and valuable in the Father's sight. No matter how great or how seemingly small the task at hand may seem, it is needed and necessary to the Kingdom, so give it your best! 

What's the best job of all? The one He gives you!

Enjoying the journey,

Debbie Beck

2 comments: