Print this post

4/18/14

Good Friday Reflections

I posted this blog exactly a year ago and wanted to share it again:

I have been reflecting today, Good Friday, on the sacrifice that Jesus made for the whole world. The History Channel aired a special about crucifixion, which I watched. They talked of Jesus and the excruciating pain he experienced as he suffered on the cross. We get the word "excruciating" from the word "crucifixion". It is the most horrific, gruesome way to die. But it was not just death, it was torture as well, and on display for all to see. It was a way to discourage uprisings against those in power. In effect, to say, if you get out of line, this is what will happen to you. Crucifixion was greatly feared. Juxtapose that to what the cross stands for today: salvation, hope, redemption, the most widely recognized symbol of Christianity.

They said on this special that aired today, that there was no comfortable position on the cross that Jesus would have ever been in. When he raised up to exhale, pain like lightning would shoot through his feet and legs. When he would breathe, the wounds on his back would be reopened as they rubbed against the rough wood of the cross. When he would support his weight with his leg muscles, he would be in tremendous pain. When he would let his hands support his body weight, unbearable pain would race through his hand, arms and shoulders.

He did this for me, for you. We see in John 19:27 that as he hung there on the cross suffering, he was concerned for his mother's welfare as he told John, "Here is your mother." And it says that John took a widowed Mary into his home to care for her. We were certainly on his mind as he suffered and died. He could have, at any moment, commanded legions of angels to deliver him, yet he chose not to. To understand what crucifixion actually means and all that it entails makes me love Him all the more!! I stand in complete awe at the plan and unconditional love of God to redeem and reconcile mankind back to Himself!!

When David penned these words about his own suffering, it was prophetic of Christ's suffering on the cross:

Psalm 22:14-18: "I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint. My heart has turned to wax; it has melted away within me. 15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth; you lay me in the dust of death. 16 Dogs have surrounded me; a band of evil men has encircled me, they have pierced my hands and my feet. 17 I can count all my bones; people stare and gloat over me. 18 They divide my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing."

His sacrifice once and for all made the way for us to be cleansed from our sin and to be able to experience fullness of life in this life and in the life to come.

The sacrifice of Jesus on Good Friday purchased the resurrection on Sunday. What an incredible price had to be paid! Dear Lord, let us fully be able to grasp how much you love us and know that all we have to do to be right with you, is to accept the sacrifice you so freely give us.

If you don't know Jesus as your Savior, I can't think of a better time than Good Friday to ask Him to be the Lord of your life! All you need to do is pray this simple prayer and mean it from your heart: "Lord Jesus, I ask you to forgive me of my sins. Come into my heart and life and save me. I give you complete control of my life. I say that you are my Lord and I believe that God raised you from the dead. Thank you for saving me. In Jesus' name, Amen."

If you prayed that prayer, please go and tell someone. Tell them how God has changed your life! You can even comment below and let us know what God is doing in your life!

~ Kim Dillingham

No comments:

Post a Comment