Print this post

4/29/14

I Hate Debt!



It's true; I confess - I hate debt. It's not that I think it is wrong, or sinful, or unethical - I just don't like it for myself. Beyond a mortgage, debt is a real bother to me.

However, due to some recent circumstances, we have had a significant increase to our debt load. This weighs on me a lot. I want it paid off and the sooner the better.  Because I am a number cruncher and actually enjoy that type of thing, I can spend a lot of time devising and analyzing plans to get rid of the debt.

As I was conversing with God about this matter one day (and I do nearly everyday), He led me to Matt. 6. I realize that when the scripture was written, there were not chapters, verses, headings, etc., but I found it interesting that in the latter verses of chapter 6, one heading is 'Jesus Teaches About Money', followed by the next heading of 'Jesus Teaches About Worry'. Hmmm, that's a message right there!

When I began reading the section on worry, I noted that verse 25 specifically cautions against worry. The remaining scriptures in that passage are in reference to the provision of our everyday needs. Worrying about money and/or provision is not a new thing....it's been going on for centuries! :o)

Our word worry is translated from the word merizo which means 'to divide into parts'. The word suggests a distraction, a preoccupation with things, causing anxiety, stress, and pressure. That's exactly what worry does. It causes us to be distracted, to feel anxious and under pressure.

Thankfully, Jesus didn't just stop with telling us not to worry. He told us how to gain victory in this area with these 3 fundamental truths:
  1.   vs 32 - your Heavenly Father knows you need them. He is God - He knows full well our needs. Though circumstances catch us off guard, they are not a surprise to He who sits on the throne!
  2. vs 33 - "seek ye first, His kingdom and His righteousness and all these things will be added unto you." It doesn't get much simpler than this - we focus on God's business and He'll focus on ours. Moreover, we are not to be distracted with our daily needs while we are focusing on the Kingdom!
  3. vs 34 - don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. One day at a time, that's the way we are to live. God have the Israelites manna for one day. Jesus taught us to pray, "give us this day our daily bread. [emphasis mine]" We need to learn to live in the moment.

As I have meditated on these truths, I have begun to experience peace regarding our additional debt. Although the desire for it to be gone still exists, it is not a continuous burden for me. I know that God will take care of it in His time and with His method.

Many have experienced financial hardship in recent years. God is aware of your circumstances and He has your back. He knew this day was coming. Stay focused on Him and His Kingdom, living for the day in front of you, and know that our loving God has a plan and it is a good plan!

Grace & Peace,

Dawn


No comments:

Post a Comment