Print this post

10/12/12

"FIX YOUR THOUGHTS"


I don’t love everything about myself.  I can easily become discouraged when I fail at something.   I don’t want to explore a new friendship because I might get hurt.  If I start something new I may not be able to finish strong.  If I write the book, it won’t be publishable.  If I try to eat healthy, I’ll end up crashing my diet.  Stepping out and trusting God to accomplish His purpose in me?  That’s risky business.  I’m just getting started.  These are only a few of the thoughts that may pass through my mind in a moment.  Hurt. Rejection.  Disappointment.  Failure.   Do these words find their way up to the surface of your thoughts?  They have made their bed in mine.    

My thoughts can be my worst enemy, holding me back from my dreams, desires and the simple pleasures of life.  They can hold me back from trying something new, building relationships, accomplishing dreams, fulfilling destiny.  They leave me stranded in my own self worth, measured by past experiences, hurtful words, disappointments, or failed attempts to follow my dreams.  

The truth is my thoughts are not true.  They are more like a broken compass, its needle spinning out of control, unwilling to lead me out of the stagnant swamp.  But when I look to Jesus, He will point me true north.  And His thoughts are not comparable to anything I have heard, even from those who love me the most.  We are His workmanship.  He made us in His image, breathed life into our inner beings, and said, “It was very good.”  

God’s word will not lead us astray.  When He asks us to do something for Him, it is never outside of our limitations.  You may feel unworthy, inadequate, unequipped, but He who handcrafted you, knows exactly what you have been created for.  God is not saying, “Let’s see what you are made of.” No -- He wants to show you what you are made of.   He created you with a purpose and has equipped you to fulfill it.  He is not giving you big dreams that you can’t obtain.  He breathed His greatness into you and His thoughts for you are beyond what you can think or imagine! 

All through the Bible, God asked ordinary people to do great things for Him.  They had inadequacies, and did not hesitate to remind God that they could not speak well, were too young, had a family to provide for, had done murderous things… the excuses for why God should not choose them could fill an empty page.  Yet they risked everything they had to follow God’s plan for their life and God was faithful to fulfill His promises in and through them.  

God’s thoughts are higher than our thoughts and His ways are higher than our ways (Isaiah 55:8).  God makes it clear in His word what we should fix our thoughts on:

For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them].   
    Philippians 4:8 Amp


When we meditate on truth, we will wash out the deception that has rooted in our thought life.  God’s word remains forever and His love never fails us.  
For the Lord is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations.” 
Psalm 100:5 ESV

Saying yes to God will require you to give your time, resources, and energy.  But your reward will be greater than what you sacrifice to follow the plan He has for your life.   
“If you are willing and obedient you shall eat the good of the land.” Isaiah 1:19 ESV

When you face discouragement or loneliness in the midst of your journey, fix our thoughts on God’s promises.  
“… You will be sorrowful, but your sorrow will turn into joy.” John 16:20 AMP

The truth is, my thoughts become void when I meditate on God’s word.  He maps out His destiny for my life and takes me on a journey that ends at a promise.  I don’t have to be afraid to leap out in faith when God gives me a task.  And when my compass alters, I can reset it to the magnetic field of God’s word.  We can trust Him to fulfill the dreams He’s ignited in our hearts, by equipping, providing, and assuring us of our worth.

“Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand. Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth.  For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God. And when Christ, who is your life, is revealed to the whole world, you will share in all his glory.”  Colossians 3:1-4 NLT







2 comments:

  1. Ohhhh....awesome Word Kate! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "God is not saying, 'Let’s see what you are made of.' No -- He wants to show you what you are made of." Awesome, Kate! This truth invigorates me with strength and hope for my future in Him.

    ReplyDelete