Print this post

6/1/11

Training Your Children Starts At Home by Kate Jones

Training Your Children Starts At Home…

Train up a child in the way he should go [and in keeping with his individual gift or], and when he is old he will not depart from it.  Proverbs 22:6

Have you ever done something or said something that immediately reminded you of your own mother? Maybe it was the way you laughed, an expression you made, a hand gesture, or something you said to your child (you know, those familiar phrases your mother said and you swore you wouldn‘t say).  I can remember my mother saying to me,“ sit down, you are making me nervous,”  and I would promise myself that I would never say that when I grew up.  Now I am grown and I have gone back on my own word, a dozen times over.  

In saying all that, I would not trade my mom for the world.  She has instilled in me godly values, morals, love, compassion and faith.  She acknowledged my gifts and encouraged my dreams.  We attended church regularly, but the foundation of my life was built at home.  I learned by what I saw on a daily basis.  I learned from my mom.

By watching my mother I learned that when someone is hurt to comfort them, when another is hungry to give them something to eat. I was watching when she found the time to work, raise kids, be a beautiful wife, cook delicious meals and read her bible every day.   I saw the way that she embraced others, loved them, forgave them, and prayed for them.  

When I went to church I heard bible stories, memorized scriptures, and was told right from wrong.  I still remember bible lessons in kid’s church that I apply in my life on a daily basis… because I was there when my mom lived them out in her marriage, family, and work life.  She taught me good habits, family values, life skills and spiritual roots that I now purpose to instill in others.

Proverbs 22:6 does not tell us to take our kids to church and they will always go.  The Lord specifically tells us to train our kids in the way he should go and he will not depart from it.  It’s important that we instill biblical truths at home by living them in our own life.  What values do you want to see your kids live out and are you living them so that they can see?  Are you showing them to love others?  To forgive? To share? To be compassionate?  Your kids will be a mirror of your reflection and sometimes it’s not in the best lighting.  But with a few minor adjustments in our attitudes, love walk and daily habits our mirror will reflect tremendous results (unlike the mirror in my bathroom). 

Children are our greatest assets and it’s vital to invest good seeds in them that will continue to flourish as they grow into adults and have families.  Seeds of truth, hope, gifts, values, faith, and love.  The best way to do this is to live it!

No comments:

Post a Comment