Print this post

6/1/11

The Anchor Holds by Daphne Delay

The Anchor Holds

Is your hope dragging? The Bible says it is impossible for God to lie, therefore "...we who have fled [to Him] for refuge might have mighty indwelling strength and strong encouragement to grasp and hold fast the hope appointed for us and set before [us]" (Hebrews 6:18, Amplified). In another place, the Bible says hope does not disappoint (Romans 5:5), yet many people seem to either have no hope or their hope is "dragging."

Maybe that's why the scriptures compare hope to an anchor. "[Now] we have this [hope] as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul [it cannot slip and it cannot break down under whoever steps out on it--a hope] that reaches farther and enters into [the very certainty of the Presence] within the veil where Jesus has entered in for us [in advance]..." (Hebrews 6:19-20, Amplified). Our hope in God's promises and faithfulness can be likened to an anchor which has dug in, held on, and refused to be moved. 

In doing a little research, the encyclopedia describes an anchor as a heavy object used to attach a ship to the bottom of a body of water at a specific point. It works by resisting the moving force of the vessel which it is attached to. "This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast, and which enters the Presence behind the veil." The hope of our soul, which is our mind, will, and emotions, must go beyond this world into the very presence of God. Our security in things unknown depends on it.

As I read these passages, I was reminded of a song I've heard a few times at special events, called "The Anchor Holds." In listening to the words, I'm certain the songwriter understood what the scriptures meant when describing our hope as an anchor. Quite possibly, the writer shared from first-hand experience of being pulled and tugged by forces of this world, only to be held tightly by the anchor of his hope in God.

He said, "I have journeyed, through the long, dark night out on the open sea. By faith alone, sight unknown, and yet His eyes are watching me. The anchor holds... Though the ship is battered. The anchor holds... Though the sails are torn. I have fallen on my knees as I face the raging seas. The anchor holds... In spite of the storm."

I can relate to his heartfelt expressions. There have been times when my mind wants to roll over the waves of conversations, diagnosis, and unsure possibilities. My own will has fought through impatience and selfish desires, not counting the swirl of emotions that accompany any and all of these onslaughts. But despite all that, deep in my core was something greater - something stronger and heavier - something secure. It was the anchor of my soul; it was the HOPE of my faith in God that reached farther than I could on my own and pulled me into His very Presence.

Instead of dragging, like an unsecured anchor bouncing on the bottom of the sea, my hope in Jesus held me tight despite the attacks of the storm. And as if someone bellowed it out over a bullhorn, my spirit would hear: "For we do not wrestle agains flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness" (Ephesians 6:12); Followed by: "Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting, you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon" (Ephesians 6:13-17, Message). And just like that, with uplifted hands, tears streaming, and gratitude on my lips, the anchor holds.

"I have been young, but I'm older now. And there has been beauty these eyes have seen. But it was in the night, through the storms of my life, that's where God proved His love to me. The anchor holds... Though the ship is battered. The anchor holds... Though the sails are torn. I have fallen on my knees as I face the raging seas. The anchor holds... In spite of the storm."

So, if you feel like your hope is dragging, stop and re-anchor. It's never too late. The only thing required is that the vessel stop to let down the anchor. Life isn't going to stop around you (any more than the storm), but you can stop in the midst of it to lower your anchor and secure your hope to God's Word. "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Do not be carried about... It is good that the heart be established by grace..." (Hebrews 13:8-9). Trust this weathered sailor - the anchor holds

No comments:

Post a Comment