Print this post

6/1/11

Our Mission by Daphne Delay

OUR MISSION

"...because as He is, so are we in this world" (I John 4:17b).
If this scripture is true (and I believe it is), then we can imitate with confidence the things Jesus said and did.  In fact, Jesus Himself declared, "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father" (John 14:12).  When we think about the numerous miracles Jesus performed, we shy away from the thought that we could do the same -- much less greater miracles!  But our confidence should not lie in our ability, but HIS ability in us.  We must never forget that it is "...Christ in you, the hope of glory" (Colossians 1:27)!

With that said, the beginning of each new year causes me to re-evaluate my past productivity and future endeavors.  I have to ask myself, "Did I imitate Christ?"  The answer is always yes and no.  Of course, I failed to imitate Him in every arena of my life.  "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23).  But on the other hand, I hope His light was seen in me as I applied His Word to my daily walk (and talk).  However, regardless of the successes or failures of this past year, the scriptures instruct us to move on.  Paul said, "Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 3:13-14).  I shouldn't rest on my laurels any more than I should mediate on my shortcomings.  Today is a new day with new opportunities to improve and grow.

So I had to ask myself, "What is your vision for this year?"  I didn't have an immediate answer although it wouldn't have taken me long to put together a list of this or that I hope to accomplish.  No, instead my heart searched deeper and asked, "What is God's vision for me this year?"  I was reminded of the words of Jesus when He said, "Nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will" (Matthew 26:39).  My list would be of no consequence if it missed the mark of God's desire for my life.

Do you want to know what He showed me?  God reminded me of Jesus' mission statement and then said, "Because as He is, so are you in this world."

Jesus' mission statement can be found in Luke, chapter four.  Immediately after returning from His time in the wilderness with Satan where He was tempted for forty days, Jesus went to the synagogue.  There, He picked up the book of the prophet Isaiah.  "And when He had opened the book, He found the place where it was written: 'The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He has anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed; to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.'  Then He closed the book, and gave it back to the attendant and sat down" (Luke 4:17-20).
  
Before all who were present in the synagogue that day, Jesus declared what His mission was.  He quoted a portion of scripture from Isaiah, chapter sixty-one.  Jesus knew who He was, who He belonged to, and what His purpose was.  On the road to Emmaus, Jesus had  "...expounded to {the two men with Him} all the scriptures concerning Himself" (Luke 24:27).  Jesus never found it difficult to apply the scriptures to His life.

And we shouldn't either.

As I thought about Jesus' mission statement and God's statement to me, "...as He is, so are we in this world," I mentally compared them to the desires of my heart.  They fit together perfectly.  Any and every thing I want to accomplish is motivated by a desire for freedom.  Whether it be in my marriage, for my children, in my ministry, or for the world - I want the liberty found in God to overshadow everything else.  Not a liberty to sin or to do what I want to do, but the liberty that refers to freedom from bondage, guilt, condemnation, and deception.  Just like everyone else, I want victory.

I read His mission statement over and over.  I looked at it in many translations.  I read it in Isaiah (also in many translations).  I wept as I read each word of His mission realizing that His will for my life is to have His desire to carry out the mission.  After all these years, Jesus' mission hasn't changed. The only thing that has changed is the hand holding the baton.  It's our turn to adopt the mission and carry it out.

Because as He is, so are we in this world:  The Spirit of the {Almighty} Lord {the Master} is upon me {and with me}, because He has anointed {chosen and qualified} me to {deliver and} preach the gospel {to bring Good News} to the {meek, afflicted, and} poor {the crouched and bent down in spirit}; He has sent me to {bandage and} heal the brokenhearted {to announce forgiveness to the prisoners of sin}, to proclaim liberty {and release} to the {physical and spiritual} captives {the opening of the prison to those who are bound} and recovery of sight to the blind; To set at liberty those who are oppressed {downtrodden, bruised, crushed, and broken down by calamity; to set the burdened and battered free; to announce forgiveness to those who have been shattered by sin}; To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord {the day when salvation and grace abound; when His favor has come} and the day of vengeance of our God {a celebration of God's destruction over our enemies}; To comfort all who mourn {and sorrow}, to give them {a crown of} beauty for ashes, the oil of joy {instead of tears of grief}, the garment {expressive} of praise for the spirit of {weakness or} heaviness {instead of a burdened, and failing spirit}; that they may be called Trees of Righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified {so that He might display His glory through them}. (I John 4:17; Isaiah 61:1-3; Luke 4:18-19)

THIS IS OUR MISSION.

No comments:

Post a Comment