Print this post

5/1/11

Grandma Annie's Cranberry Salad


Grandma Annie's Cranberry Salad





1 package cranberries
2 whole oranges, including rind
2 whole apples, cored with peel on
1/2 cup pecans (or other nut)
1 cup sugar (or substitute)


Nothing says Thanksgiving to me like Grandma Annie's Fresh Cranberry Salad!  From the time I was a little girl, I've always looked forward to the holidays at my Grandpa Grant & Grandma Annie's house.  One thing was for sure, Grandma Annie would make everything fancy, including bringing out the gold silverware & filling the punch bowl.  My mom has always said that I'm a lot like her & I think she must be right!  So, thanks Grandma, for all I've learned from you about making every moment special!

I can't remember a holiday without her Fresh Cranberry Salad, so last year I got the recipe & we made it at our house for the first time.  It's such a simple combination, that packs the right tangy cranberry twist.  Best of all, it can hang out in the fridge for days & just gets better as it sits.

So, this one is an easy process.  Simply grind (or use your food processor if you have one) the cranberries, oranges & apples.   Reserve any of the extra juice produced during the process. Then, add 1 cup of sugar & the nuts, stir to combine.  Now, this is one that needs to sit at least over night to let the sugar do its thing.  If it's too dry, simply add back in some of the reserved juices.  You can add more sugar, but I like it tangy myself.

This recipe is perfect for any holiday & adds quite a splash of color on your plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment